Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Latest Field Guide: Kaufman Butterflies of North America


This summer, while birding with Jeremy Bensette, I couldn't help but notice he had bought a Kaufmann Bufferfly Field guide and inspired me to get a copy myself. The $20 book pays itself off in the first five minutes of thumbing through the thousands of beautiful photos of butterflies. This book has already helped me identify a few of the butterflies I had found while on vacation in BC back in the summer of 2011. It has all north american species and range maps which has me planning which butterflies I might try to find while traveling to Florida or Oregon this upcoming year. For example I realized that a Little Metalmark can be found in Southwest Florida.


Newly discovered western butterflies as the result of my new field guide: are this Lorquin's Admiral and Variable Checkerspot (which I had previously identified as a Northern Checkerspot).

Lorquin's Admiral

Northern Variable Checkerspot

Of course, Kaufman's Butterfly Field Guide is great but its not my only field guide. I bought this more local publication two years ago for about $10. I've had this for a year or two and this little coil-bound book has served me well!

Image Source: http://www.lambtonwildlife.com/Nature-Books-LWI.htm
Good birding & butterfly watching!
Dwaynejava

PS:

Silvery Blue in the News - New subspecies discovered?
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Tiny+flying+gemstone+represent+race+butterfly+Eastern+Ontario/9256488/story.html

Butterflies of Ontario Flickr Group - If you have a Flickr Account and you're from Ontario - why not join this newly created group?  http://www.flickr.com/groups/2309594@N22/



4 comments:

  1. Dwayne, you always have such informative posts! I've got to get me a butterfly book one of these days so thanks for the the info on options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using the Kaufmann for several years and like it. Although I can ID most butterflies, it comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your 2014 goals. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Southfield, thanks or the comments. Thanks for reading nerdy for birdy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...