Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shorebirding Point Pelee's Marsh

I've started a tradition over the last two or three years to kayak Point Pelee's Marsh in August. This is a nice way to witness the fall migration of shorebirds very close-up. I was hoping to see a rarity, such as a Phalarope or Avocet, but no such luck. Pretty much what I've seen in previous years was seen this week:

Pectoral Sandpiper 5
Semi Plover 4
Semi Sandpiper 6
Least Sandpiper 4
Black Bellied Plover 3
Killdeer 6
Short Billed Dowitcher 2

 
 Semipalmated Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper. Its funny to think that as recent as last summer, I had some minor confusion with this species and Sanderling. Rest assured, I've ironed out the differences and will no longer be confused!


Pectoral Sandpiper

More Butterfly Watching

I've walked alot at Spring Garden (as mentioned in my last posting) but butterflies diversity has not really changed, or seems to be tapering off (between broods?). I did see a pair of Variegated Fritillaries though, which was exciting to see... I don't think any former butterfly counts for Ojibway had that species, so that's pretty significant to see so many there! Other butterflies there are Pecks, Fiery, Dainty Sulphur, Common Buckeye, Eastern Tailed Blue, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Least skippers, Crossline Skipper and Checkered Skipper.

Two Variegated Fritillaries, chasing each other in a whirlabout!

Its surprisingly difficult to photograph an Orange Sulphur in a dorsal perspective!

The photo below shows a pair of Skippers that I noticed at Wheatley Beach this week. When I was at the beach, I had noticed some Common Sootywings and a few skippers,  and figured I would ID the skippers when I got home. They turned out to be Sachem Skippers! Pretty rare... In my opinion at least! I would have taken more care in photographing them, but I figured I was looking at something common! Other butterflies included Common Sootywing and many Sulphurs.
Sachem Butterflies - Wheatley Beach. Note the huge stigma marking on the male.

Good Birding,
Dwaynejava
Rough Blazingstar - Spring Garden Area
 
First time seeing a Walking Stick Insect in the wild... Crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Walking sticks and five-lined skinks form very early wildlife memories for me. I first saw a five-lined skink, believe it or not, on the boardwalk at PPNP. I have no clue where I first saw a walking stink, though I have a funny picture from when I was maybe 10 years old holding one in our house :>

    Anyways, thanks for these photos. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...