Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ojibway Seasonal Specialties


 I had a posting for last weekend's OFO trip to PPNP but I just couldn't hit the publish button... I had a short, uneventful trip, but at least I saw many great birders from near and far.  Unfortunately, I was sick Sunday and just not feeling good. I don't know how I got out of bed at 7 am on Sunday!!! Three birds of interest where a Swainson's Thrush, Greater black backed gull, and an unidentified owl I flushed on West beach as I was eyeing a Ruby crowned kinglet.

This week, I have really found myself busy with work and my night classes that I'm taking at the U. I did get out once or twice to Ojibway Park. Tonight's walk was surprisingly good!

It only dawned on me when I got home, but a photo I took of a juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker had a juvenile Yellow bellied Sapsucker in the same tree! I watched a Red breasted Nuthatch crack sunflower seeds from about 4m away... I saw Yellow Rumped, Bay-poll and American Redstart along with Ruby and Golden Crowned Kinglets. Solitary Sandpipers are almost guaranteed to be seen in the round pond at Ojibway, I think I'm 5/5 in my last 5 trips to the park.

 This Blackpoll warbler just sat on a branch for a few minutes after eating a little bug. I put the camera away and checked it out (with my new binoculars) for a few minutes.




I can't believe there was a Red headed Woodpecker at Ojibway again! I hope I run into this bird more in the future! Sorry about the mediocre photos... they are basically proof shots. The woodpeckers flushed shortly after I even noticed they were there.
This Kinglet is just a little bigger than a Hummingbird but so fidgety!

I will probably try to go to Holiday Beach tomorrow after work.

Good birding!
Dwayne

2 comments:

  1. Birding should be good this weekend. It may be a bit "Too" nice, but birds should be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to go out to Ojibway this weekend! I've seen both kinglets, Brown Creepers, and sharpies(among the piles of Blue Jays)in Walkerville this week on my morning dog walks. I unfortunately had a Brown Creeper and a GC Kinglet hit our windows at work this week(both lifers this week before the hits). Both were ok, thankfully, but the creeper actually circled up my arm the way they do on trees before it flew off!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...