Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunny Sunday at Ojibway

Black and White Warbler on the left side of this tree trunk.

Just a quick posting today. I stopped by Ojibway this afternoon and walked the main forest path for about 45 minutes. The Nature Center feeders are still attracting a Hairy Woodpecker! This large beaked bird gives itself away with its laughable squeeky toy call!


I also saw two great birders today at Ojibway, Tom and Crystal. Tom mentioned there were some pockets of warblers moving through the park thanks to recent north winds. Canada, Chestnut Sided and Oven warblers were seen by Tom, but not myself. I met Crystal today as she was eyeing a Black and White Warbler!

Many Common Nighthawks circled above as dusk approached

NEW!  Juvenile Chestnut Sided showing off her new, first winter plumage


Some birds seen today:

Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers
Great Egret
Green Heron :-)
Blue Grey Gnatcatcher  :-)
Black and White Warbler  :-)
Eastern Wood Peewee
White Breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
BC Chickadee
& the regulars!

Next day (new)
Chestnut Sided Juvenile Warbler
Common Nighthawks above

Later on in the day, after a family function, I stopped by the Ganatio trail extension and eyed two Sharp Shinned Hawks as well as a Song Sparrow (near a mini-marsh)? This Cornell article is a great resource for distinguishing Coopers from Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Smaller size, striped tails and rapid wing-beats help identify this as Sharpies.

Good birding!
Dwayne

PS: By request, I've updated my profile with an email address to contact me more easily. Also, I've added a recent toy I've bought for my son, a Piping Plover!

2 comments:

  1. First of all I love the new main picture of the tufted titmouse. I am a little jealous too because I still have yet to get a good view of one of these birds. Also I like the picture of the sharpies. I have seen a few in my time birding but still can't get that lens up fast enough as the fly by.

    Very cool Dwayne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you WLS!

    The Tufted Titmouse is a nice Windsor treat. Even my non-birding friends love this photo. Its one of my favorites!
    Dwayne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...